Once upgrading form Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 the Huawei E200 modem failed to work, unfortunately I switched back to Windows 7 for browsing the Internet. I didn’t realized that I would have search for this issue in the first place and today only I just did it, viola I managed to find some workarounds to get my good old Huawei E200 modem back to work 🙂
- Adding the “blacklist usb_storage” to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
- sudo usb_modeswitch -v 0x12d1 -p 1003 -V 0x12d1 -P 1003 -R
As usual pluagged in the modem and ran the command illustrated under second point and now I’m happily surfing the Internet.
Following was the message got printed on the terminal.
hayesha@gnu-user:~$ sudo usb_modeswitch -v 0x12d1 -p 1003 -V 0x12d1 -P 1003 -R
[sudo] password for hayesha:
Looking for target devices ...
Found devices in target mode or class (1)
Looking for default devices ...
Found devices in default mode, class or configuration (1)
Accessing device 003 on bus 001 ...
Getting the current device configuration ...
OK, got current device configuration (1)
Using endpoints 0x02 (out) and 0x82 (in)
Not a storage device, skipping SCSI inquiry
USB description data (for identification)
Manufacturer: HUAWEI Technologies
Product: HUAWEI Mobile
Serial No.: not provided
Warning: no switching method given.
Resetting usb device .
OK, device was reset
-> Run lsusb to note any changes. Bye.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem / E230/E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:231d Hewlett-Packard
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 064e:f209 Suyin Corp.